Fahrenheit in portugal since august 2017
Where: Coimbra, Portugal
- The city of Coimbra, Portugal has a population of nearly 200,000, including roughly 40,000 students with the number of families increasing by over 17% from 1991 to 2001
Meet Team Portugal:
- Micheal and Cristi Gerecke moved to Portugal in 2009 not knowing anybody, much less a word of Portuguese. Since then it has become their home and a place to invest their lives.
- Investing in the lives of young families by investing time and energy getting to know them, building relationships and earning access to their lives as they have shared countless meals and cups of coffee together.
Vision for the Future:
- Purchasing a building as a platform to serve the community and make a difference in the people’s lives through mentoring. The building would be used in the following ways:
- Tutoring for school age children with local college students volunteering their time to help.
- Partnering with local churches as well as groups in the US to offer family and marriage enrichment seminars.
- Providing the space free of charge to local churches and ministries to use as they need for their outreach and service events. Freeing up the space as well for local pastors and community leaders to use as a neutral meeting space to encourage cooperation and partnership.
- Serving meals to the community at large in an effort to meet the needs of the homeless and at-risk population segments.
What we really want is for everyone in the city of Coimbra to have the opportunity to see and hear the gospel in a relevant way that allows them to make a decision to trust in Jesus Christ for themselves. This business is the tool we see God using to make that happen.”
How You Can Get Involved:
- Donate by following the "Awaken Coimbra" button
- Contact Fahrenheit to learn more about partnership opportunities in Portugal.
Click on the "Awaken Coimbra" button to visit the Gerecke Family blog.